Create a strong and healthy stepfamily, one STEP at a time
Heidi Farrell is a stepmom of two young adults, and a bio mom of three smaller "ours" children, ages 11, 9 and 7. She is the founder of notjustastepmom.com where she offers encouragement, practical tools, and personal stories from her stepfamily journey.
Heidi is trained in stepfamily coaching, and coaches stepmoms and moms individually, with their partners, or in small groups, and loves when women experience personal growth through friendship and community.
Heidi has bachelor's and master's degrees in music, German, and has been certified as a Kindermusik instructor, where she studied positive ways to connect with small children. She runs a community moms group, and is the director of her local homeschool community.
Her writing is published on many websites, including StepMom Magazine and Her View From Home. Her ebook about how to avoid feeling resentment when adding an "ours baby" to a stepfamily is available on her website.
You can connect with her at notjustastepmom.com and on Facebook or Instagram at Not Just a Stepmom - Heidi Farrell.
Here are some of the main points from Heidi's interview:
- The dangers of focusing on small negative things
- Shifting the focus from fixing problems to realizing what is working
- Struggles of wanting to control and the importance of surrendering
- Recognizing that fixating on personal flaws and mistakes is counterproductive
- How having a big picture mindset allows for greater grace towards oneself and others
(the full version of this session runs 0:33:52)